Saturday, December 8, 2012

Ecclesiastes 4:12


"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.  A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

99.9% of the time I've heard this verse mentioned is during a wedding ceremony.  I would almost bet that I'm going to hear this verse at some point during my wedding weekend in July.  It's an important one to remember, but I'm not going to be speaking from a marriage standpoint.

We live in a world that is very independent.  Lookout for number 1! Asking for help is almost a sign of weakness.  Christianity is taboo for many different reasons and this is one of those reasons.

Today I will be providing an easier way for us to accomplish or goals and to stay accountable.  

***Spoiler arlert***
It's not by doing it alone!

All throughout the Bible, Christ talks about unity, community and love.  This verse is the perfect example of all three.  When I read this verse, I am reminded of the friendship between David and Jonathan.

If it wasn't for their loyalty to each other, but more importantly their loyalty to Christ, it is very possible that David would have been killed by Saul before he ever was king.

There are some things in life that we may not be able to accomplish without the prayer, support and encouragement of others around us.  This is why we are called into community with one another.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves."  I know myself.  I know that when things get difficult I tend to give up and if I don't have someone to steer me back on path I will stop pursuing that goal to find an easier one.  (That's one of my many character flaws.) 

On Thanksgiving day this past year, I ran my first 5k.  3.1 miles isn't really anything to brag about, but I am not a runner and it was on my bucket list of things to accomplish.  Kayla, so lovingly, decided to run alongside me to help me keep my pace and to provide me support.  I'm not going to lie, I probably would have walked at one or two points of the race if it wasn't for her support and encouragement.  At the end of the race, my time wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but I didn't walk once.  

Friends, (I'm not talking to anyone here since no one reads this blog) if we try to accomplish goals or stay accountable without asking for the support of others, we are setting ourselves up for failure.  I'm excited for marriage, because this verse is SO applicable (hence why I hear it all the time at weddings), however there are certain aspects of life where Kayla can't be a part of the cord.

Having a Jonathan or two is needed, but we can't forget about the 3rd strand which is Christ.  If Christ isn't a part of our cord it will slowly fray and brake.  

Having Christ at the center and a companion pushing me and encouraging me is the key to accomplishing my goals and keeping me accountable. 


      Weekly thought to ponder:

Who are my Jonathan's and is Christ our third strand?

No comments:

Post a Comment